Friday, February 24, 2012

How much was Mary Rowlandson actually ransomed for?

Mary Rowlandson was captured in 1675 by the Wampanoag Indians and held captive for three months. Her husband paid her ransom of 20£. This made me wonder exactly how much she was ransomed for, so that is my question. How much was Rowlandson actually ransomed for? According to http://www.unitconversion.org/currency/british-pounds-to-us-dollars-conversion.html today 20£ would be worth about $31.63 US dollars. Today, however, one US dollar is worth 0.63£. That is not very much considering how much our US dollar has diminished in value over the years. After I found out how much Rowlandson would've been worth today, I began to wonder how much she was really worth in 1675. While I was doing research on that, I realized that there were no US dollars around in 1675. So, I found on http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_value_of_a_1675_British_Penny that a 1675 British Penny would be worth 12-100£ today, and that would equal about $18.98-$158.13. I am not sure exactly what that means about how much she was really ransomed for, but a 1675 British penny would be worth a lot today! So, what I found was Rowlandson's husband paid the equivalent of $31.63 to get his wife back.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment